Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Today was comparative.

Today we stopped at CCL (Alex's language school). This is a public school where students can go to study English, Spanish, Portuguese and French. This school is very important because the students need to pass a difficult entrance exam to go to college and part of the exam is an English proficiency test. Alex is a very intuitive principal who is always looking for ways to help his teachers, staff and students. 
  At CCL this morning we taught the students the Hokey Pokey to review the vocabulary for body parts. The students were just like my American students because they were shy at first but once we started, they came alive and had particular fun with "you put  your backside in and you shake it all about."  We taught another class at CCL earlier in the week about the sites in Utah. We read passages from the book A Is For Arches. Then the students wrote an acrostic poem about Brazil. Here is their poem:

B- beautiful
R- rare
A- amazing
S- soccer
L- life

Here is an acrostic I wrote about Teresina:

T- here are only three people in Teresina: you, me and somebody we know. This is a local saying reflecting how closely knit the city is. 

E- very one is ways smiling. I don't think I have met a single person who didn't have a big smile! 

R- emember to look up! The clouds in Teresina are very unique. They have
many layers and are different kinds every day. 

E- venings are when the town comes alive! It is very hot here so people stay inside during day. But at night the streets and parks are full of people talking and interacting together. 

S- weltering heat! It is very hot in Teresina! It is even hot to the locals :) 

I- gnite interest! The students here are so eager to learn. A treasured memory I will take home with me is the students at Integral trying to find ways to break the carbon fiber samples I brought from Hexcel. FYI: you can't break it :) 

N- ew experiences! I have tried many new things here like different fruits that we don't have in the US. 

A- lways! I will always remember how lucky I am to be in Teresina with Erica and Alex!!  

No comments: