Monday, August 5, 2013

"Jamaica, Land I Love"


Some basic information on Jamaica

Jamaica is a typical third-world country in some ways and not in others. For example, Jamaica has a very third world economy.  When I was there, the conversion rate was one US dollar to 9,000 Jamaican dollars.  The price for items was very comparable.  A bottle of water costs about one to two US dollars.  Clothing cost the same as well.  However, Jamaicans are not given salaries that are comparable to US salaries.  A teacher in Jamaica makes about J$800 a month- that is the equivalent of 80 US dollars a month!  And yet, the cost of living is close to the same as the US.  Jamaicans really struggle to have sufficient money. 

Jamaica was not third world in that you could flush your toilet paper and because of all the natural springs, you can drink the water, which was very refreshing!  However, the water is sometimes shut off (at random).  So, most homes have a large water tank out back that fills up when the water is on so they still have water when the water is shut off.  When the water is shut off, there is almost no water pressure.  Hot water is a luxury most people do not have.  My friend had a switch that you would turn on fifteen minutes before you wanted hot water in the bathroom only.  I never opted for a hot shower because it was so hot in Jamaica.  I enjoyed a freezing shower right before bed to cool off.
The water tank for this house is on the right. 


Each house uses a propane tank for their stove.  You can get propane tank refills at many different locations.  When you go to a gas station, a person puts the gas in for you. 

Jamaica is also not air-conditioned.  Many places have large fans, but that is it.  There were no coolers.  When I was going to a principals meeting, I was told it would be air-conditioned.  When I arrived, I realized air-condition meant six large fans.  The building was close to the seashore so I made sure I sat by a doorway and felt the cool ocean breeze, which was lovely! 

When Jamaicans answer their phone they say, “Hello, Good Morning!” or “Hello, Good Afternoon!”  Jamaicans love natural fruit juices and love to mix their own juices.  I had lots of yummy fruit drinks while I was there. The locals speak a dialect called Patois.  Even though it's a dialect of English, I sometimes had a hard time understanding people.  Patois is not a written language and it varies from region to region.  This makes it difficult for school children when they enter school.  The schools do not formally teach formal English which is difficult for children who have only spoken Patois. 

Jamaica is still part of the British Common Wealth, which means the British government provides their military protection.  It was quite obvious to me in both Brazil and Jamaica that these two countries have not experienced the same threats that the US has because there was little to no military presence and they were not as strict with security.  For example, on our way to Dunns River, my friend’s little girl needed to use the restroom.  We stopped at a military base close to Ocho Rios.  There was not a gate, only a guard who lifted a pole when we arrived.  My friend explained the situation and the guards gladly let us drive onto the base and use the restroom.  That would never happen in the US!  I live close to Hill Air Force Base and just to get on base you have to show ID and go through security.  In general, Jamaicans were extremely friendly and helpful.  A couple of times, my friend’s car had trouble starting and there were always lots of people who came running over and assisted us. 
       Whenever I told people I was going to Jamaica, they would tell me it wasn’t safe to go beyond the tourist places.  When I arrived in Jamaica, I learned this was not the case at all. In fact, I was probably more safe than the locals.  Jamaicans realize that tourism is their countries greatest source of income and they do not want any bad press.  In fact, when we would get pulled over for traffic stops (where police usually harass the drivers), the officer would see me in the car and smile and wave us through without any trouble.  I never felt unsafe, even though I did receive a lot of stares because I was the only white person in the regions I visited. 
         The only risk I faced was being charged too much for things.  In fact, at the only tourist place we went, Dunns River, I was charged quite a bit more.  I was charged more than my friend, her husband, and her three children combined! At Port Royal I only had Jamaican dollars so they charged me the local cost of four dollars instead of the non-resident ten dollars.   At all tourist places, they have two costs: one for residents and one for non-residents.  The non-resident’s fees are usually more than the locals (which makes sense as we make a lot more money than the locals).  They do this so locals can afford to go to the attractions as well.  

A local resident would pay five dollars for the museum

I paid 20 dollars (though they gave me five dollars back because we were suppose to have a shortened tour-which we didn't)

No comments: